Magnesium is a necessary mineral that performs a crucial function in lots of bodily features, and its significance is magnified throughout being pregnant. Getting ample magnesium in being pregnant is important for the well being of each the mother and her child. Magnesium helps regulate blood stress, prevents preterm labor, reduces leg cramps, improves bone well being, and reduces the chance of gestational diabetes.3
Curious whether or not you might be consuming ample magnesium throughout being pregnant and how one can get extra of it? On this article, we are going to discover the function of magnesium in being pregnant, how a lot magnesium you want throughout being pregnant, and the place to search out magnesium in several meals.
What Is Magnesium?
Magnesium is crucial in lots of bodily features, together with muscle and nerve perform and constructing robust bones. It additionally regulates blood sugar ranges and blood stress and performs a job in producing vitality and protein.1,2,3
Magnesium could be discovered in lots of meals, together with inexperienced leafy greens, nuts, seeds, entire grains, and legumes. It will also be obtained by means of dietary supplements, though getting vitamins by means of a balanced weight loss program is mostly really useful.3
The Significance of Magnesium in Being pregnant
Magnesium is crucial for bone, muscle, and cardiovascular well being and is especially necessary in being pregnant. Magnesium can present many advantages all through being pregnant, together with:
- Helps regulate blood stress: Magnesium may help regulate blood stress, which is important as hypertension throughout being pregnant could be harmful for each the mom and child.3,4
- Reduces leg cramps: Magnesium could assist scale back leg cramps frequent throughout being pregnant.5
- Improves bone well being: Magnesium is crucial for constructing robust bones, which is necessary for the creating fetus and the mom.1
- Reduces the chance of gestational diabetes and improves glycemic management in gestational diabetes: Research have urged that magnesium could assist scale back the chance of creating gestational diabetes. This situation can develop throughout being pregnant and have an effect on each the mom and child. For these with gestational diabetes, supplemental magnesium positively impacts insulin sensitivity and glycemic management.6,7,8
How A lot Magnesium Do You Want in Being pregnant?
Your want for magnesium in being pregnant will increase barely. In response to the Nationwide Institutes of Well being, the really useful every day consumption of magnesium throughout being pregnant is:3
- 350 mg/day for pregnant girls aged 19-30
- 360 mg/day for pregnant girls aged 31-50
Nonetheless, pregnant girls with sure medical situations, comparable to gestational diabetes or preeclampsia, could require increased doses of magnesium underneath the steerage of their healthcare supplier.3
Methods to Add Magnesium to Your Food regimen
Magnesium is present in a wide range of plant and animal meals. Magnesium is usually present in inexperienced leafy greens and added to some breakfast cereals and different fortified meals.
Meals wealthy in magnesium embrace:3
- Pumpkin seeds: 156 mg per 1 ounce
- Almonds: 80 mg per 1 ounce
- Spinach: 78 mg per ½ cup
- Cashews: 74 mg per 1 ounce
- Avocado: 22 mg per ½ cup
- Black beans: 60 mg per ½ cup
- Edamame: 50 mg per ½ cup
- Salmon: 26 mg per 3 ounces
Different meals which are good sources of magnesium embrace entire grains, darkish chocolate, chia seeds, bananas, and peanuts.
Ought to You Use Magnesium Dietary supplements?
Acquiring vitamins by means of meals first is all the time finest relatively than counting on dietary supplements. Nonetheless, some folks could have issue assembly their every day magnesium wants by means of weight loss program alone or could have a medical situation requiring increased magnesium doses. Whether or not or to not use dietary supplements depends upon your wants and circumstances and ought to be mentioned along with your healthcare supplier.3
Your healthcare supplier may help you establish if dietary supplements are essential and, in that case, what dosage is acceptable for you. It’s important to notice that taking extreme quantities of magnesium dietary supplements can result in hostile negative effects, together with diarrhea, nausea, and belly cramping. Moreover, sure medicines can work together with magnesium dietary supplements, so it’s important to reveal all medicines and dietary supplements to your healthcare supplier.3
What Do Magnesium Dietary supplements Assist With?
Supplemental magnesium could present numerous well being advantages, relying in your circumstances and wishes. When taken underneath the steerage of your healthcare supplier, extra magnesium supplementation throughout being pregnant could assist with the next:
- Improved sleep: Some research present magnesium could assist regulate the physique’s manufacturing of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep. Taking magnesium dietary supplements could assist enhance the standard and length of sleep.9
- Relieve muscle cramps: Magnesium is concerned in muscle perform and may help forestall and relieve muscle cramps. For those who battle with restless leg syndrome throughout being pregnant, focus on along with your healthcare supplier whether or not chances are you’ll profit from taking magnesium dietary supplements.3
- Promote bone well being: Magnesium is crucial for constructing and sustaining robust bones, and taking magnesium dietary supplements could assist enhance bone density and scale back the chance of osteoporosis.3
- Regulate blood stress: Magnesium dietary supplements could assist regulate blood stress and scale back the chance of hypertension throughout being pregnant.3
Once more, it’s important to notice that the advantages of magnesium dietary supplements could fluctuate relying on a person’s wants and circumstances, and extreme consumption of magnesium dietary supplements could be dangerous. Be sure you converse along with your healthcare supplier earlier than taking magnesium dietary supplements to find out if they’re essential.3
Magnesium in being pregnant is crucial. Whereas it may be obtained by means of a balanced weight loss program, some pregnant girls could have to complement their consumption underneath the steerage of a healthcare supplier. It’s important to notice that extreme magnesium dietary supplements could be dangerous, and you must all the time seek the advice of along with your healthcare supplier earlier than taking any dietary supplements.